Friday, February 5, 2010

Double Mantel



This is a double mantel that I just finished. The existing mantle is constructed of builder's grade popular. I used hard maple and painted all of the new components with a white lacquer paint.
I removed the existing capitals and plinths to make way for the new full length fluted pilasters with new plinths. Then I installed the new frieze board with a beautiful 6"x32" maple scroll that is 1" deep in some areas. It really stands out.
Once all of the rework was finished with the base mantel, I then installed the completely new upper mantel. The new 8 foot tall fluted pilasters are anchored to the walls with drywall anchors and finish nails. The new arched frieze board with scroll was screwed and liquid nailed to the wall next. I pre-made the crown molding cap so that all I would have to do was anchor a backer board to the wall, and then nail the crown piece to the backer board. This eliminated having to make difficult crown moulding cuts 12 feet in the air. Once the crown was in place, I simply put a 3/4" plywood cap with an edge moulding wrap.
Some white nail filler and some paintable caulk, and the job was complete. I even hung the decorative steel pieces to finish off the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment